We went for the amneo today and...well, things appear better.
Dr. Crite was right up front with us and told us that after last time she expected us to come and the baby to be dead, which is something Michelle and I were both afraid of but was a little shocking to hear the doctor say so plainly, but the kid was very much alive and active. Heart rate is good (doctor said "strong" multiple times which to my lack of medical training sounds positive considering the possible issues), bone structure is good, and they did some weird scan to show the kidney function and the blood circulation and that looks good.
The other good news was that the cyst has gone down by .2cm (it had been at 1cm) around the head and neck and has not progressed any further down the body. The visual scans of the child were to look for the secondary characteristics of Downs and she didn't see any but did advise us that they only appear in 50% of cases at this point of pregnancy so that might not mean anything. I'm too much a gamer and I keep trying to work the numbers in my head but, unfortunately, I can't min max my child.
But the doctor offered us hope and said that she was encouraged by today.
The reason why my kid is a PitA was that while the doctor was doing the amneo, the kid moved over, reached up, and put it's finger over the tip of the needle, effectively blocking it like putting your thumb over the end of a straw which meant that the procedure took twice as long because the kid wanted to be difficult. Yes, I might be attributing motives to a child that aren't there but, come on, this is mine and Michelle's kid we're talking about.
The doctor also used a lot of female pronouns. Michelle and I forgot to ask if she saw something and didn't tell us or she's just using female proper pronouns, so I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that we might be having a female product of Michelle and I.
If that's the case, I'm fucking doomed.
So, good news today. We have two weeks until the results of the amneo are back and we know if it is a chromosomal issue or if we rolled really poorly and then really well. After that we wait until January 19th at 3pm to do a 20 week ultrasound where we will learn the child's gender and get a good look at the heart. We aren't out of the woods yet, so please keep the good vibes coming.
Michelle is choosing to live with hope, I'm going to try and do the same.